Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pea Risotto with Squashy Soufflé





  • stick  (4 oz.) butter
  • 2 1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
  • large shallot, finely chopped
  • 1 1/4 cups arborio rice
  • lemon, finely zested
  • teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 2 1/2 cups frated parmesan
  • cup frozen petite peas, thawed
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 cups whole milk
  • packages  (10 oz. each) frozen pureed winter squash, thawed
  • eggs, separated

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and 2 1/2 cups water to a low simmer; cover.
  2. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish. In a saucepan, melt 2 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until softened, 3 minutes Stir in the rice and 1/2 cup of the broth mixture, stirring constantly until the liquid is mostly absorbed. Continue adding the broth in 1/2-cup increments, stirring until nearly absorbed before adding more, and adjusting the heat to maintain a simmer, for about 20 minutes total. Stir in the lemon zest and 1 tsp. thyme. If the rice is still firm, stir in more broth and cook longer.
  3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 2 tbsp. butter, 1/2 cup cheese and the peas; season with salt and pepper. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish, then refrigerate until cold (up to 1 day).
  4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 4 tbsp. butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour for 2 minutes. Whisk in half of the milk until smooth, then gradually whisk in the rest to make a thick sauce; cook, stirring, for 1 minutes. Whisk in half of the squash puree and remove from the heat.
  5. Whisk the egg yolks into the remaining squash puree, then stir into the sauce with the remaining 1 tsp. thyme, 2 cups cheese and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper.
  6. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt just until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the squash mixture until no white streaks remain; spread evenly onto the cold risotto. Bake until the top is golden-brown and the souffle is cooked through, 45 minutes. Let sit loosely covered with foil for 15 minutes before serving.

Annah's Take: "There were a lot of first with this recipe.It was my first time for making risotto and a souffle. I was really excited that I was actually able to make these two dishes without them being really disgusting. I would say this recipe is for an intermediate cook and someone that has time to be in the kitchen for two days. I was tasting the recipe as I went and I would say that the risotto right off the stove was delicious. The first day I made the risotto and it sat in the fridge overnight as the recipe called for, and the next day I made the souffle and assembled the dish. The souffle puffed up a little, but not as much as it should have. The first night we had it the recipe was very strong in lemon flavor. So much so the husband said, "I feel like I am eating lemon meringue pie with rice". Needless to say he did not like it and has refused to eat anymore of it. I would say that I have enjoyed it more after it has sat in the fridge for a couple of days. The lemon flavor is not as over powering and I like the creaminess of the souffle on top of the risotto. This won't be added to my monthly recipes, but I might try it again with a little less lemon and when I am having company over. After having the chance to make this risotto it has made me not so scared of the dish and I think I will try more in the future."
Colleen's Take: "It might be the mood I am in lately, but this recipe really pissed me off. First off I couldn't find the squash, I went to 3 different stores talked to the frozen produce employees who all informed me that they, 'no longer sell that product'. I ended up buying a butternut squash and microwaving it for 20 minutes until it was soft & then I tupperwared it until it was time to make. I was also incredibly annoyed that it took two days to cook. I don't have two days to cook one meal. 
this picture was obviously take before I ate it.. 
On that note this was also my first time cooking with risotto and it's not as 'easy' as the tv chefs always make it sound. It was very time consuming and with my infant on the ground growling at me didn'thelp much. BUT the only redeeming quality to this meal was the risotto, it was delish. UNTIL it got covered in that squashy mess that 'had' to go on top. I give this recipe two big thumbs down!"
 (now what do I do with all the leftovers?)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...