Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Curried Chickpeas and Quinoa {Annah}

Annah's Take: I found this recipe on the famous Pinterest and I enjoy curry, but I don't have many recipes with it. This recipe was a little bland, but that could have been my fault. We will start with the things that went wrong with the recipe. First I stepped away from the stove and burned my onions so I substituted with scallions. Then there didn't seem to be enough liquid from the one can of tomatoes so I added about another 2/3's of a can of tomatoes, and threw in a pinch more of curry powder. I probably diluted out some of the flavors by adding more tomatoes, I just thought the mixture might burn without it.

Overall the recipe is easy to make. I had to make my quinoa, but if I would have had some already cooked it would have cut off 25 minutes from my cook time. The cooking of the dry chickpeas was not factored into the amount of time it took me to make this. I put my mixture into tortillas because that is what I had in the fridge, and I added cheddar cheese to pump up the flavor.

I have had better quinoa and curry recipes... Basically if I am in a hurry and have the ingredients I need I might make this again. However, it wasn't good enough to add to the monthly cooking calendar.

Makes 4 servings (I got like 6-8)
15 minutes to Prep
15 minutes to cook (50 minutes for me)

Ingredients: 
1 medium onion, chopped (I used scallions)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
(I used dry re-hydrated beans and used 2 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 15oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup cooked quinoa

Instructions:
Heat medium sauce pan to medium-high heat. Add onions and a little EVOO and cook, stirring, until onions soften. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.

Add the chickpeas, curry powder, and cayenne pepper, and stir briefly. Add the tomatoes and cooked quinoa, reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer for about 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.

Serve in wraps, pita bread, or lettuce leaves

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...