Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pastel Azteca "Tortilla Casserole" {Annah}


Sorry I have been MIA, I did not cook basically the week of my birthday, and then I was in Texas visiting family.I am back now though and ready to cook!

I saw this recipe on the Today show from MarcellaValladoild, she has her own show on Food Network that I used to love to watch when we had cable. I did not have all the ingredients for this recipe and I wanted a little more spice so I tailored the recipe slightly.

Overall Tyler and I really enjoyed the recipe. It is pretty healthy and of course vegetarian. It did not have a lot of steps, although you do have to use three large saute pans. However, I was able to clean up the pans while the casserole was in the oven. Tyler thought that chicken would have tasted good in this, and I think that black beans would also taste good with the other ingredients. The thing that stood out the most for me was the sweet corn with the spiciness of the tomato mixture. I didn't have time to boil tomatoes or char poblano chiles, you will see my changes to the right of the recipe. I will be making this again probably with black beans, and if Tyler is lucky I will let him add chicken to his side!

Ingredients
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • Vegetable oil for frying
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3 chopped garlic cloves
  • 1 chopped small onion (used 1/2)
  • 2 cups roma tomato, boiled 30 seconds, peeled, and pureed (Used a10 oz can of enchilada sauce, 8 oz can of tomatoes, and 2 left over tomato sauce packets from a taco kit) 
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 1/2 cups chopped zucchini
  • 1 1/2 cup fresh corn off the cob or 3 fresh corns (one can of sweet corn)
  • 3 poblano chiles charred, seeded, deviened, and cut in strips. (4.25 oz  can chopped green chiles)
  • Salt and pepper to taste (Skipped this who needs more salt!)
  • Non stick cooking spray
  • 3/4 cup mexican crema (sour cream)
  • 3 cups shredded Oaxaca cheese (cheddar cheese and a little mozzarella)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large heavy saute pan, add enough oil to fry 12 tortillas. Heat oil on medium-high heat. When hot, working in batches, quickly fry tortillas. Simply fry for 10 seconds on each side. Remove tortillas from heat and drain in paper towel.

In a medium saute pan on medium heat, heat oil and add garlic and onion. Saute for about 3 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add tomato puree. Cook for 10 minutes and turn heat off.
In a separate large saute pan on medium heat, melt butter. Add zucchini and corn. Cook for 2 minutes and add the poblano. Add 1/2 cup of water to mixture and cook for 4 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Cover the bottom with tortillas, about 4 tortillas. Add 1/2 cup of tomato mixture on top of tortillas. Top with 1 1/2 cups of zucchini mixture. Add 1 cup of cheese. Drizzle with 1/4 cup of mexican crema. Season the first layer with salt and pepper. Start on the second layer with tortillas, then tomato, zucchini, cheese, and with mexican crema. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Do it again for a third time, to finish off with a third layer, making sure to season with salt and pepper.
Bake uncovered until cheese begins to melt, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Makes 8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...