Saturday, July 7, 2012

Thai Fried Quinoa {Annah}

I was excited about this recipe because it was something I had never tried to make before (fried rice/quinoa). Although the recipe sounded exciting the flavor was less then exciting.

I did have most the ingredients which is always nice with a new recipe to see if it is going to be an easy go to dinner. The flavor just did not taste right. I am not sure if it was the mix of vegetable broth with coconut milk or what. I will say that I thought the second and third day tasted a little more blended then the night I made it. Now I was shocked when the husband said he liked it. Usually if I am if-y on it he never likes it.

Overall, I would say it is worth a try for your family, because it had mixed reviews with us. Tell me if you like it or if you modified the recipe. By the way I saw this recipe on Pinterest, and of course it looked delicious.

Thai Fried Quinoa
Makes 4 servings
  • 1 c. dry quinoa
  • 1 c. coconut milk
  • 1 c. vegetable broth
  • 1/3 c. chopped green onions
  • 1 T. minced ginger
  • 2 t. minced garlic
  • 1 c. frozen peas
  • 1 c. pineapple
  • 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
  • 1 T. lime juice (I did not have this on hand)
  • 2 T. reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 c. scrambled tofu (I did not put this in)
  • Optional garnishes: lime wedges, peanuts, cilantro, cherry tomatoes
  1. Place a saucepan over medium-high heat and add quinoa, stirring every minute or so until quinoa is toasted.
  2. Combine coconut milk and vegetable broth and add to quinoa.
  3. Bring to a boil.  Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
  4. Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with cooking spray or a light spritz of oil and place over medium-high heat. Add green onion, ginger and garlic and saute for a minute or two.
  5.  Add peas, pineapple and cilantro and saute for an additional minute.
  6.  Add quinoa to the skillet and cook until starting to slightly brown and crisp.
  7.  Finish with lime juice and soy sauce and add in scrambled tofu, if using.
  8.  Serve and garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...