Monday, July 16, 2012

Quinoa and Black Beans {Annah}

 I have been on a search for a delicious Mexican rice/quinoa for many years now. I enjoy the pre-made Mexican rice sold at grocery stores, but I hate that they have MSG in them. Sadly this is still not it. This dish was pretty bland, even with the cilantro and the spices just added heat.

I wish I would have had black beans I think that would have made it a little better. Pinto beans to me have a more subtle flavor and are more mushy. So I continue to search for the delicious side dish to my burritos and enchiladas. If you have a favorite please share it, I would love to try it!
Ingredients 
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
3/4 cup quinoa (uncooked)
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt
pepper
1 cup corn kernels (frozen) (I used a can of corn)
30 ozs black beans (rinsed and drained) (I used pinto beans)
12 cup fresh cilantro (chopped) 
Directions


Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.

Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,

Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...