Thursday, July 26, 2012

Shrimp in Coconut Curry {Annah}



First you have to know by now that I did not add shrimp to my recipe. Instead I had some sugar snap peas that I threw in to replace the shrimp. I really liked that this recipe was easy to make. The hardest part was washing the food processor and two pots when I was done making the meal. I added a photo to the bottom of how I cut my chiles. I have on multiple occasions had the oil from chiles stay on my fingers for days, and it burns every time I take out my contacts. I know wrap Syrian wrap around my thumb and index finger to keep the oil from touching my skin.

I was disappointed in the lack of flavor for this dish. I thought with 2 Serrano chiles that there would have been a lot of heat. As I have come to find out from using coconut milk twice in the last month it really dulls the flavor. I had to add a decent amount of salt to make this interesting, and Tyler added Tabasco sauce. He did not enjoy the recipe, and will probably not be helping me eat the left overs. I enjoy medium heat Indian dishes, but I have yet to make one that I love. If I make this again I might add some garlic and garbanzo beans. It might help to cut back on the amount of coconut milk so it doesn't wash out the flavors.

If you have some beginner Indian curry dishes please leave me the recipe. I would love to try them and find an Indian dish that I can add to my monthly fall back dinners. 

Ingredients

  • 2 Serrano chiles, halved and seeded
  • 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 3/4 ounce fresh ginger, peeled
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 13 1/2 ounce can  coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 pound peeled, deveined shrimp
  • Salt

Directions 

Pulse Serranos, carrot, onion and ginger in food processor. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat; add vegetables and cook to soften, 3 minutes. Add coconut milk and curry powder and bring to simmer; add shrimp and simmer until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...