Saturday, June 9, 2012

Penne Pasta with Sun-dried Tomato and Cream Sauce {Annah}


    This recipe was lacking in flavor. It came out really creamy and it was really fast to make, but needed more spice. This was a really easy recipe to make that anyone could do it. I have never thought to use a use a can of evaporated milk for Macaroni and cheese, but I think I might use it more often. Tyler thought that this recipe was too creamy and thick, I usually have a problem with my mac & cheese coming out dry.
  This recipe came off pinterest, and I am sure we have all seen something that looked so delicious and easy on there not living up to the hype. I would say this is a pinterest fail. For the amount of calories in this recipe it is not worth the splurge. The only flavor that this recipe has going for it is the sun dried tomatoes.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups (8 oz.) dry penne pasta
  • 8 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
  • 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
  • 2 cups (8-oz. pkg.) shredded Italian-style four-cheese blend (I only had Mozzarella)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions
Prepare pasta according to package directions, adding sun-dried tomatoes to boiling pasta water for last two minutes of cooking time; drain.

Meanwhile, combine evaporated milk, cheese, basil, garlic powder and pepper in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.

Add pasta and sun-dried tomatoes to cheese sauce; stir until combined.
Yields 7 servings 

2 comments:

  1. My mom makes a penne with sun dried tomatoes dish that's pretty good. When I saw the title of this post I was wondering if yours would be similar, but her recipe is quite different and isn't cream-based. I can find the recipe for you if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...