Thursday, June 7, 2012

Crispy Eggplant Parmesan {Annah}

 I have made this recipe on several occasions and Tyler and I really love it. I was a virgin to cooking eggplant until I made this recipe at the end of last year. I have only had eggplant Parmesan from a local Italian restaurant that was mediocre so I don't a lot to compare this recipe too. I would love for others to try it and let me know how it compares.
  I would say that beginners can make this, but you will be spending around an hour in the kitchen preparing this meal. I am going to post the entire recipe that I got off of Food Network (Sandra Lee), however I did not make the tomato sauce that is in the recipe. I have made it in the past, but in my opinion it did not taste as good as what I could buy at the store and safe myself some precious time.
  I always serve my eggplant over penne pasta  I think it taste better that way. The eggplant comes out soft in the middle but crispy on the outside. Also on the plate in the picture is roasted Brussels sprouts. If you are feeling like an Italian meal I highly recommend making this dish! The recipe says it yields 4, they must use 2 very small eggplant. I used only one eggplant and it filled an entire 9x9 pan. Tyler and I would eat two pieces at a time and I think we got 6-7 meals out of it total.
  On a side note for the viewers that are checking out the site often I am sorry for going a week without posting. I am not used to sitting down to write everyday. I vow to at least post twice a week. Also Tyler and I have been busy trying to book an anniversary trip to Costa Rica. If anyone has been there we would love to know which is the best city to stay in.

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup dried Italian bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, divided
  • 2 eggplants
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
Directions

In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the canola oil. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add the 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, tomatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the sauce for the online round 2 recipe Eggplant and Pasta.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Set up a breading station using 3 baking dishes. In the first dish, add the flour and season with salt and pepper, to taste. In the second dish whisk the eggs with 1/2 cup water. In the third dish combine the bread crumbs, cornmeal, 2 tablespoons Parmesan and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Slice the eggplant into 3/4-inch slices. Dredge them in flour, then in the egg wash and then in the bread crumbs. Arrange the eggplant on 2 sheet trays fitted with a racks and bake in oven until crispy, about 20 to 25 minutes. Reserve 4 slices of eggplant for the online round 2 recipe, Eggplant and Pasta.

Turn the oven to broil. Put the eggplant, overlapping, into a baking dish in 2 rows. Cover each row with about a cup of sauce and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan. Put under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 to 4 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.

Yields 4

Annah's Roasted Brussels sprouts
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Wash, dry, and cut Brussels sprouts in half
  • Place sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet
  • Drizzle EVOO, slat, pepper, and garlic powder on the sprouts and mix
  • Put in oven, check on them and mix them around about every 10 minutes
  • When they are lightly brown on the outside, warm and soft throughout they are ready to be eaten

1 comment:

  1. don't feel bad I am sure it's just you and me reading this site!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...