Monday, September 3, 2012

Cafeteria Style Macaroni and Cheese {Annah}



   This is a recipe that I make about every two months. The reason I do not make it more often is because it makes a lot and the dish is pretty heavy. I tried to make it a little less unhealthy by using one can of fat free evaporated milk. It seemed a little more jiggly then the more solid form I get when I use two cans of full fat milk. Also the inside of the dish seemed more of a scrambled egg texture then I have had in the past. Another addition that I made to the recipe this time was I used Panko bread crumbs rather then plain. I enjoyed the crunchier texture that it gave the top. 
  This recipe is easy to make, it just requires dirtying about 2-3 bowls. A little more clean-up then what I like, but I Love that you do not have to cook the pasta first.
  If you are looking for a side dish to take to a pot luck, need to feed a large family, or like having a lot of left overs give this recipe a try. It is cheesy and filling and wont disappoint.

Cafeteria Style Macaroni and cheese                      
 12 servings
 
Non stick cooking spray
1 lb elbow macaroni
5 tbs melted butter
1 lb American cheese grated
2 12oz cans evaporated milk (I used one can fat free)
2 cups water
4 eggs beaten
2 ½ tsp ground mustard
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp hot sauce (Tabasco)
1 cup bread crumbs (I used Panko bread crumbs)
1 tsp paprika

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 9x13 dish with spray

In large bowl toss uncooked macaroni with 3 tbs melted butter to coat. Add cheese and combine thoroughly. Transfer to prepared baking dish

In a medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, water, eggs, ground mustard, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco. Pour over macaroni mixture. Bake in oven 55-60 minutes

Combine bread crumbs, paprika and 2 tbs butter. Sprinkle over baked macaroni and cheese. Return to oven and place on top rack position under broiler. Broil 1-2 minutes or until brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...