Monday, September 10, 2012

Corn and Tomato Pizza {Guest Post, Allison}



When Annah said she was looking for some guest bloggers, I knew I would be able to contribute a recipe or two.  This is because I am always trying out new dishes. I am pretty lucky that my husband will eat almost anything. Even when I make something that I consider gross less than edible, he is always willing to eat up the leftovers. This week, I decided to make something that was fairly foolproof, Corn and Tomato pizza.  
         The pizza turned out great. It was the first time I used pita bread as the crust. Pita bread is a great if you want to make individual pizzas. The recipe says it makes 3 mini pizzas. I went ahead and made 4; two for my husband, one for me and one for my lunch the following day.
I probably would have added a little bit more pesto sauce than what was called for. The recipe calls for shredded rotisserie chicken. I already had a chicken breast in my freezer, so I went ahead and boiled that then shredded it. The recipe also calls for fresh basil leaves as a topping. I rarely buy fresh herbs, as they seem to go to waste in my house. Instead I bought a tube of Gourmet Garden Basil, which lasts a lot longer. This is definitely a recipe I would make again.  


Corn and Tomato Pizza
 
Ingredients:
Two small plum tomatoes, sliced
 Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper
1 tablespoon oil (I used canola oil) 
3 pita rounds (I used 4) 
2 Tablespoons Pesto
3/4 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (I used canned)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2- 8 oz package sliced mozzarella cheese
2 Tablespoons fresh basil, minced ( I used Gourmet Garden Basil, instead)

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 450F 
Place tomato sliced on a paper towel, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let stand for 20 minutes.
Spread oil over pita rounds. Bake pita rounds for 10 minutes. 
Spread pesto over pita, and top with chicken. 
Combine corn, Parmesan cheese and sugar. Sprinkle over pesto.
Top with tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. 
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes** or until cheese is melted.
Top with basil leaves and cut into wedges. 

** My pita bread was already pretty crisp form the 10 minutes it was in the oven. I only baked mine for another 6 minutes or so. The cheese was melted and everything was warmed by this point. 
Original recipe from http://emeals.com/
 
Allison is my old friend from college. She currently lives with her husband in Cincinnati,OH, but her heart belongs to Michigan! She is a registered dietician who knows a thing or two about food. I am looking forward to a few more healthy recipes coming from an all around amazing friend!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...