Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fried Bok Choy Ravioli with Soy Dipping Sauce

Annah's take: If you are a fan of fried wontons you are going to love this recipe. These were very easy to make and did not take too much time from start to finish. Only issue I had is there was a lot of cleaning up to do since oil splattered out of the frying pan and you have to use a food processor.


These recipes were taken from the April issue of Everyday with Rachel Ray. The ravioli did not have a very strong flavor of bok choy that was a little disappointing. All I could really taste was the Parmesan cheese and the pine nuts, this is not a bad thing but it didn't have that Asian flavor I was expecting. I am a huge have of crab rangoons, with that being said I would try this recipe again, but use soften cream cheese instead of the Parmesan cheese. Overall I really liked these fried ravioli and I think it would be great paired with an Asian stir fry.


The sauce on the other had was a big let down. It was a marinate that was supposed to go with another bok choy recipe in the magazine, but I thought it would be a good dipping sauce for the ravioli. Since it called for it to be brought to a boil I thought it would thicken up, however it did not. It ended up being a bowl of very salty soy sauce with subtle hints of ginger and mustard. I ended up dipping the ravioli in a sweet and sour sauce that I already had in my fridge and it was a great pairing. All in all I will be making the ravioli again the sauce I will not."



Fried Bok Choy Ravioli

Serves 4 ( I got about 6-7)


Ingredients
1 cup oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
8 ounces bok choy, stems chopped and leaves shredded
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1/4 cup grated parmesan
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
24 wonton wrappers


Directions
In skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium; cook onion, bok stems and garlic until soft, 7 minutes. Add bok leaves and cook 1 minute; season. Pulse in food processor with cheese and pine nuts. Add heaping tsp. to wrappers, moisten edges and fold to seal. In skillet, heat remaining oil; fry ravioli until golden.


Soy Dipping Sauce


Ingredients

1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons dijon mustard


Directions

In small saucepan, bring soy sauce, sugar and ginger to boil, stirring; remove from heat and stir in mustard.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...