Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Classic Roasted Vegetables

Colleen's take: "I love this recipe, when the seasons change to fall and all the bell peppers & asparagus go on sale, I go b-a-n-a-n-a-s! I can't get enough of this produce but most of the year I can't afford it, so I have to take advantage while I can. This recipe is a great one, the smell of the basil & balsamic dressing cooking up in the oven is delightful, the caramelization on the veggies towards the end of the baking process makes an almost sweetness occur on your tastebuds. I make a lot of this veggie recipe and use the left overs on pita bread with hummus, I have to slide some chicken in there for the hubby but I am just fine with vegetarian! Enjoy!"

2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 4 panels (I just use what's on hand, today it was yellow & orange, green's  aren't sweet enough)
1 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch slices
1 medium yellow squash, trimmed and cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch slices
1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion, root end left intact and cut into 8 wedges
1 pound thick asparagus, trimmed
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon dried basil
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper

- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place one oven rack in the upper third of the oven and one in the lower third. Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray; set aside.

- Cut each bell pepper panel on a diagonal into 2 triangles. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and add the zucchini, yellow squash, onion, asparagus, garlic, oil, vinegar, basil, salt and pepper. Toss well to evenly coast with seasonings.


1 cup; 107 cal, 5g fat, 1 g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg chol, 448 mg sodium, 15g carb, 5g fiber, 4g prot, 54mg calc. Points value: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...